10 Awesome things to do in April
Posted on 04/03/2014 by TheTourismBureau
10 Awesome Things to do in April While there’s never a shortage of things to see and do in ILLINOISouth, here are 10 unique events you can only do this month.
1. Belleville the Movie Premiere April 22 – 27, Lincoln Theater, Belleville
Shot in Belleville and the surrounding communities by area native Ted Trent, Belleville the Movie is a family friendly “dramady” that’s sure to warm the heart. Trent says his dream is to create a film industry in Southern Illinois.
2. Meet Duck Dynasty’s Jep & Jessica Roberts Saturday, April 12 • 7 p.m., Conley Gymnasium – Flora High School
The Flora Rotary Club proudly presents an evening with Jep & Jessica Robertson. Hear the Duck Dynasty stars share stories about the show, their family and more at this fun event. Call Uebinger’s Furniture for tickets and more information: 618.662.4322
3. Wabash Ribberfest Barbeque Championship April 25 – 26, Downtown Mt. Carmel
This Kansas City Barbeque Society sanctioned event features excellent food vendors and live entertainment. Grab the family and bring your appetites – you don’t want to miss this great annual bash!
4. 5th Annual Du Quoin Home and Garden Show April 12 – 13, Du Quoin State Fairgrounds
Make your way down to the historic Du Quoin Fairgrounds to see the latest and greatest from Builders, exterior and interior home repair and remodeling contractors, lumber and furniture businesses, home decorators, landscapers, lawn care contractors and more!
5. Swic Student Art Show April 17 – May 15, Schmidt Art Center, Belleville
Visit the beautiful Schmidt Art Center on the Southwestern Illinois College campus to see the best work from current students on display. This fantastic annual show features work from some of the area’s finest up-and-coming artists spanning across many different mediums.
6. Doubt – Clinton County Showcase April 4 – 6, 11 – 13, Avon Theater - Breese
The Clinton County Showcase will present the hit show Doubt: A Parable
at the beautiful Avon Theater in Breese. Set in a Catholic School in the Bronx in the 60s this production is certain to have audiences engaged.
7. Southern Illinois Sheep and Craft Festival April 12, Monroe County Fairgrounds - Waterloo
This unique festival will have fun activities and demonstrations for the whole family. Events include working sheep dogs, sheep olympics, sheep pellet bingo, kids' corner and sheep shearing. There is also an exhibit area with spinning and weaving demonstrations, craft items and packaged frozen lamb cuts. A lamb lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. featuring various cuts of lamb.
8. Belleville Ale Fest April 12, Scottish Rite Parking Lot - Belleville
Sample beers from more than 20 breweries. VIP admission will include entry into the Ale Fest an hour before public opening, food vouchers, and a souvenir sampling glass. A general admission ticket includes entry into the Ale Fest at 4 p.m. and a souvenir sampling glass. Food vendors will be present and there will be music by the Jeremiah Johnson Band.
9. Olney Open Memorial Bass Tournament April 26, East Fork Lake - Olney
Join teams from ILLINOISouth and beyond as they try to catch a winner in East Fork Lake. Spectators can relax in Olney’s Rotary Park and root for their favorite anglers. Call 618-395-7302 for more information.
10. Met at the Hett April 5 & 26, The Hett Center for the Arts - Lebanon
Be part of a worldwide audience from a "better than front row seat" for the New York's Metropolitan Opera Emmy award-winning "Live in HD" series of high-definition simulcast transmissions to over a million viewers in 35 countries. April will feature two productions including La Boheme
on 4/5 and Cosi Fan Tutte