In 1898, David Fife began the construction of the second story opera house in downtown Palestine. On the street level, Fife operated a hardware store and undertaking business. The modern theater offered electric lights, beautiful murals, and plush seating for the public's enjoyment. The theater's opulence is still evident today. Restoration has included the hand-painted murals and rolled curtain, as well as the renovation of the entire second story. Contact the Palestine Preservation Society for more information, tours, and to rent the facility by calling 618-586-9418.