The City of Waterloo, in conjunction with the Explore Waterloo merchant group, Waterloo VFW, American Legion, Monroe County Arts Alliance, Daughters of the American Revolution and others, are planning a special event to be held early this summer in honor of the State of Illinois’ Bicentennial year.
This event, which we are calling “Military Heritage Day” will honor and highlight our military with a military vehicle car show, several demonstrations and reenactments from various eras of our history, live music and performances, activities for children and more plans still in the works.
Military Heritage Day is free to attend and will be held in our beautiful, historic downtown area on Sunday, June 10th from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. Our goal is to bring in people from surrounding communities to the Waterloo area and showcase our local businesses, as well as provide a day of fun and learning to celebrate our great state of Illinois’ 200th birthday.
The event will kick off at 10 a.m. with an official United States and Illinois Bicentennial flag raising ceremony by the Scott Air Force Base Color Guard.
Highlights of the day will include:
- A military vehicle show (non-competitive)
- Three USO show reenactments (WWII, Korean War and Vietnam War themed) hosted by professional Bob Hope impersonator William Johnson, including various music and performances by the Monroe County Arts Alliance members
- Special performance by the Shades of Blue Ensemble of the Band of Mid-America
- Patriotic Municipal Band Concert
- “Climb for PTSD” rock climbing wall
- Activities provided by the United States Army
- Military tent displays
- A BB Gun Shooting Range
- A military style obstacle course
- Local food vendors and more!
The day’s grand finale will be a performance by The Original Knights of Swing Big Band during the Waterloo Chamber of Commerce Downtown Concert Series from 5-8 p.m.
This event, which is officially endorsed by the State of Illinois Bicentennial Commission, will be a wonderful tribute to our military: past, present and future.
For more information, contact Sarah Deutch at 618-939-8600 ext. 211 or email@example.com. Follow www.facebook.com/MilitaryHeritageDay to keep up with more details to come.